The practice was originally a single doctor practice run by Dr Harratt in the 1920s. In 1930 Dr Hartley joined the practice. At that time the practice was in the Mint. During the Second World War Dr Harratt died and when the war was over the practice moved to the Mariners in the High Street. Dr Hartley was joined by Dr Palmer, followed shortly afterwards by Dr Townsend in 1950, and in 1967 the first purpose-built surgery was built on the site of the towns old Postern Gate.
From then onward the practice has continued to expand. In 1991 the Postern Gate building was extended and in October 2007 the practice moved to the new Rye Medical Centre next to Rye Hospital in Playden.